Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ice Fising Whitefish at Red River Park, WI

January 24, 2009

I was able to venture out Saturday with my folks, Ken and Jill Tlachac, and fish for Whitefish off of Red River Park. Although I didn't make it out until 10:00am, due to Ice Fishing the night prior on East Alaska Lake until very late, we were still able to snag 5 nice fish.

As I drove up to the shanty my pa was just tossin' a nice one out the door. What a welcome!

We were only running 5 hooks because of the fishing space limitations in the shanty. I bought tip ups however it was too cold to mess with plus I needed help in the setup. I haven't used tip ups for a few years.

We were fishing in 8 feet of water and could easily see the bottom. It was a blast to see the fish latch on to your bait and neatly reel them in. My folks used 1/2 of a minnow with a juicy wax worm on some type of shiny jig. I simply used my good ole lucky "lure"... green and black with an active rosy hooked from the top fin.

We all caught fish so as far as what the hot bait was... I couldn't really say.

We parted around 1:45 however still saw fish at the bottom of our holes.

It was a wonderful day... My folks gave me their catch and I had a great meal that night!

Please forward any Ice Fishing or Hunting stories to the contact informatin listed below.

Happy Fishin',

Keri Tlachac
Keri@wisconsincountryliving.com
Wisconsincountryliving.com

No comments: