Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Little House in the Cedar Woods by Keri Tlachac

You might say a little too much “Little House On The Prairie” or simply growing up in an area where malls were non existent, neighbors were scarce and finding something to do usually involved the outdoors, seeded my simple love for the outdoors. Whatever the reason, my passion for fishing, hunting, wild mushroom picking and photography, was among some of the wonderful reasons for settling the little house in the cedar woods.

When I found that piece of earth it came with a price. But of all the expenses you endure during your new home project, picking your property is probably by far the most important. Cutting corners on your land purchase would not be advised as most professionals would agree. Land is precious and I believe it should be a life long investment. If you are looking into a new home and aren’t thinking long term then I would encourage you to purchase an existing home. It only makes good earth sense.

I knew that I’d made the perfect choice when I found myself loosing track of time mudding and tearing around on the 4-wheeler trails I cut, building hunting blinds, fishing on the Kewaunee River which runs in the back of the 12 acre lot. The time hiking and photographing this beautiful area was the tranquility I needed before gearing up and actingt as general contractor for my new home.
Building a home isn’t difficult; it is down right time consuming and mentally challenging. The physical work was the easy part. If you want to save money you need to be able to dedicate your time, your brain, a bit of sweat equity and find a good foundation of reliable help. My internet research on the building process was extensive along with finding a builder who would allow me to pick and choose my “battles”.

As each stage of the plan unfolded I would hand it to my Pa on a clipboard. He then directed the project during the day like a professional while allowing me to stay ahead of the game and work a 40 hour week. Fine detail was cared for through Mom who tackled all the tedious wood finishing work. My sister and her young family played a huge role as well. Support, support, support…

I was able to furnish much of the interior with material cut right from the land. My folks took sole part in clearing the lot while hand milling each cedar tree into fine boards for trim and interior log accents. The fireplace wall is slabed with bardboard along with hand crafting some of my own furniture. Being able to control the time frame also allowed me to make educated choices with little regrets before the project was completed. Patience became a virtue however and at times it seemed the project would never come to an end.

With hard work ethics and a good foundation for motivation from my folks, stepping “out of the box” was easy and is what certainly “moves mountains”. It played a massive role in bringing a dream to reality. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money if you truly can handle being dedicated to a little sweat and some challenges. I promise the outcome will be worth a lifetime of memories. As long as I am alive I will forever remember how it all unfolded. Each day, I see, feel and hear the whispers of my family that guided me through with encouragement and love. Take part in creating your own dreams and feel the sense of accomplishment first hand… You can’t borrow that from the bank. Thanks to all my family a hundred times over.


Wisconsin Country Living

http://www.wisconsincountryliving.com/

Keri Tlachac
keri@wisconsincountryliving.com
Wisconsin Country Living
Kewaunee, WI 54216
(920)680-0274

©2007







No comments: